Wednesday 27 April 2016

DIY lace accessory

Help me come up with a sane name for this thing. Rosette? I don't know, it's a thingy for now :D


So yeah this week's video is about making this accessory, you can either attach an alligator clip to it and make it a hair accessory or you can pin it to your dress, bag or beret, or anything else really. These are very simple and versatile, and even though it's not a stand out piece, I think it's nice to have ^^ Here's a text and photo tutorial since they have been requested, I hope you can catch the key points of the tutorial, I know I'm not very good at these yet :'D


You will need:
- Twi different widths of your ribbon of choice. I have cotton lace but you can use any lace or grosgrain or satin ribbon. 
- Decorations. I have pearl beads but you can use pretty much anything really, a small fake flower would look really pretty too.
- Clip(s?) of your choice
- Needle, thread, scissors


Cut three (same length) strips of the wider lace. Fold the edges to the middle and sew them securely on to the middle.


Turn them into bows :) Make sure to really secure them with lots of tiny stitches and wrap the thread around the middle few times too. Bows are really easy to make but hard to describe, but I show it in the video if you're new to making bows. ^^


Time to unite. First sew two bows together from the middle, then add the third one in there too.


Wrap the narrower lace twice around the center to make it look pretty. Sew the lace on firmly. Then take the top bow and sew the edges to the middle, this way it stays more open and makes the accessory more round. Repeat to the bottom bow as well. Again, shown better in the video.


Lay out your decorations and decide where to put what...


And sew them on! I went with pearls and made two long ribbons out if the narrower lace. I just secured it to the back of the accessory. All you need now is to secure it with the clip of your choice and you're good to go! Again, really simple and fast. The hand sewing can be a bit tiresome but it'll look nice in the end, I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment